Today, we’re joined by Dr. Samuel Ko, a Board Certified Emergency Physician and medical director of Reset Ketamine in Palm Springs, California.
Dr. Ko completed his emergency residency training at Loma Linda University Medical Center, where the mission is “To Make Man Whole.” Dr. Ko takes this same holistic approach at Reset Ketamine, where he always makes sure to take into account the biology, psychology, sociology, and spirituality of his patients.
In addition to his medical practice, Dr. Ko and his wife Kim are co-creators of the online course Ketamine StartUp, which teaches other physicians how to start their own ketamine clinic.
Listen in as Dr. Ko reflects on the 20-year journey that brought him down the unique path he walks today in the world of healthcare, and does a deep dive into the ins-and-outs of ketamine and the four-stage process that all of his clients undergo at Reset Ketamine.
As a pre-medical student at Seattle University in Washington, he worked as a research technician at the University of Washington-Dept of Neurology studying neurosyphilis. He performed a variety of procedures on laboratory animals and, by happenstance, the medication that he used regularly to reduce their pain was ketamine!
Later on, Dr. Ko gained an interest in emergency medicine, and along the way met a number of mentors who taught him the importance of spirituality in healing. Coincidentally, his emergency medicine residency program at Loma Linda University Medical Center saw the expanded use of ketamine outside of the anesthesiology department and O.R., giving him even more experience with the dissociative anesthetic.
As fate would have it, Dr. Ko found running a conventional practice unfulfilling, not to mention corporate healthcare as a whole.
In April 2018, Dr. Ko opened Reset Ketamine in Palm Springs, California. Beyond the simple delivery of ketamine, he believes in looking at the holistic picture of patients, utilizing the bio-psycho-social-spiritual model of medicine. Reset Ketamine offers a unique combination of preparation, intention, set and setting, and integration to support patients.
Dr. Ko’s mission? “To use ketamine as a catalyst to transform lives so others can find their ‘why.’”
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
● [04:02] What inspired Dr. Ko to become a doctor
● [12:50] Why Dr. Ko chose emergency medicine
● [16:05] Discussing resident pay and access to mental health resources
● [19:45] What drew Dr. Ko to ketamine-assisted therapy
● [23:07] What exactly is ketamine and what are its benefits as a therapeutic modality?
● [27:37] What patients can expect from ketamine-assisted therapy
● [32:51] The two medications that can decrease the effectiveness of ketamine-assisted therapy
● [37:25] About Ketamine StartUp
● [41:44] The four stages of ketamine-assisted therapy at Reset Ketamine
● [46:40] How to become an integration coach
● [48:00] How Dr. Ko speaks with potential clients whose therapist told them to avoid ketamine-assisted therapy
● [55:24] Barriers against the mainstream acceptance of ketamine-assisted therapy
● [58:19] Dr. Ko’s favorite patient success stories
Enter BHIPODCAST as a promo code for $30 off the device.
Dr. Sam Ko’s contact information