Episode 54: "Psychedelic Healing"
Guest: Emelyn Rozas | Behavioral Health Specialist
Date: October 5, 2022
Today, we’re joined by Emelyn Rozas, a behavioral health specialist, artist, and psychedelic
advocate based in Toronto. She is a part of the executive management team at the Toronto
Listen in as Emelyn discusses how immigrating to Canada from Peru at a young age had a
direct influence on the path that she would later traverse in adulthood. She opens up about a
troubled childhood which included being a victim of pedophilia, and how a lack of resources and
support for the benefit of her mental health eventually led Emelyn to pursue the modality of
Emelyn offers her advice to those who are considering psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy and
other forms of therapeutic psychedelics. She also speaks on the major lessons she has learned
about healing past traumas. This includes the harsh reality that you may never be able to
forgive those who have harmed you, but the best thing you can do is forgive yourself and be
willing to let go of the shame that has held you back from growth.
She goes on to talk about her work with the Toronto Psychedelic Community and give her
thoughts on what she calls “the psychedelic renaissance”. Finally, Emelyn illustrates her hope
for a future in which “peer support and psychedelics merge”.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
● [02:36] How Emelyn got into the behavioral health field
● [07:46] How Emelyn prepared herself to try psychedelics as a modality
● [13:36] Determining when you may be ready to try psychedelics
● [16:42] Emelyn’s ayahuasca experience
● [20:25] Forgiving yourself and letting go of the shame from past traumas
● [24:10] Emelyn’s thoughts on the afterlife
● [26:10] Emelyn’s work with the Toronto Psychedelic Community
● [28:42] What continues to hold back research on psychedelics with regards to mental
health and addressing addiction
● [29:52] About microdosing
● [32:23] How psychedelics help with substance addiction
● [37:26] Psychedelics the first step to addressing your mental/emotional problems
● [44:05] About Emmelyn’s artwork and future goals
Key Quotes by Emelyn:
● Ayahuasca dissolves your sense of self: Everything gets fragmented. So, when you
come back from the experience, it is up to you to grab those fragments and put them
together for them to make sense, to get to the root of the things that are causing you
issues in your daily life.
● A bad ayahuasca trip is actually a good trip, because there are so many things to learn.
● Guilt and shame are normal human emotions just like joy and anger. But, we have to be
aware of the degree to which we feel them because they do affect us mentally and
● Coming to peace with impermanence—knowing that, one day, we’re not going to be
here anymore—allows us to pay attention and be present more, every day of our lives.
● Psychedelics do not fix problems. It shows you what the problems are. Then, you can
grab them and start to heal them one by one. It is a great tool of revelation to reveal
what’s hidden in the subconscious.
Emelyn’s contact information
Jacob Minning, MA, LADC
Jacob has always had a strong passion for helping people in need, in addition to helping others achieve their personal health and fitness goals. He has experience with and enjoys assisting others as they work through life’s challenges.